Queen Bee Confessions

One woman's journey with trying to stay sane in a house with 5 kids and a husband that travels.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Summer Reading

Well, I love books. I have been actively reading books since about 1st grade. I have not had much time over the last few years to read, but lately I have been taking more of an active role to pick this hobby back up. I have missed it.

Well, let me tell you, I have just read one of the BEST books ever!! Seriously, I read it in less than 2 days because I could not put the book down. It is called My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Wow. I seriously was crying for an hour after finishing this book. It really tore at your heart strings. It is a book that pertains to a controversial topic. It goes way past stem cell research,
into what can you expect your other children to do to benefit one. This family had been dealt
with a hardship, their daughter was diagnosed with a rare form of lukemia. Their older son was not a match for bone marrow so they decided to have a baby. But this wasn't an ordinary baby. This baby was engineered in a genetic lab to be a perfect match for the daughter. Fast forward 13 years later and that daughter is suppose to be used to donate a kidney to her sister. Here is where it gets controversial. Who has the power to consent to this surgery? The parents or the child? What if the child doesn't want to do it? What if the parent can't possibly let the chance slip away to help the other child to live, even if it meant going against the child's wishes? The daughter decided to take her parents to court to get medical emancipation for this very reason.

This book was so eloquently written that it never lost my interest. It was a very easy read, very easy to get into. It had a great aspect by different chapters being by the different characters of the story. It was told from each of their point's of view.

I strongly urge you to pick up this book. It was truly a wonderful book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home