Queen Bee Confessions

One woman's journey with trying to stay sane in a house with 5 kids and a husband that travels.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

IEP hell

So, my youngest son is in IEP. A special program that is suppose
to help him thru school. He has issues understanding abstract
concepts and he has issues with his speech. He doesn't know
how to articulate very well.

He went thru preschool last year with flying colors! The special
ed teacher said he was ready for mainstream with a slight difference.
He would attend speech 2 times a week and have a counselor observe
him 2 times a month.

Well, he is having issues adjusting to Kindergarten. He has behavioral
issues. I have tried calling an IEP meeting and it was canceled today. I
talked with the counselor (who btw, it took the school 3 days of phone calls
to figure out WHO was in charge of his counseling) who said she has not
even observed him this year. WHAT?? Why not? If he is suppose to be
receiving extra help, why is he not? He is attending the speech class,
which btw, the counselor didn't even know if he was. It seems to me
that the school is letting him slip thru the cracks. I can't have that.

So, what do I do? The counselor said that the "county" has restricted them
from pulling kids out of mainstream class to help them with individual issues.
EVEN if it is deemed that they need it. How much do I push? I know his
Kindergarten teacher has too many kids to deal with to give Kaleb the
individual care he needs. I understand that. However, I do not understand
the school's stance on not offering the special classes (other than speech) to
help him adjust to the school setting. What is going to happen by the
end of the year when he will NOT be ready for 1st grade. Is he doomed
to repeat Kindergarten again. He is not slow enough to have to be taken
out of mainstream, but he isn't quick enough with learning to advance
as quickly as his peers. He is stuck in the middle and I am afraid he
will get missed.

1 Comments:

At 6:49 AM , Blogger Misty said...

oh man... there are little things more frustrating (as a parent) than dealing with a school that doesn't seem to care to work with you... I hated being THAT parent, but I guess it's worse to be THAT school... Keep at them, to the level of harrassment if you have to. Is there any way to move him to a charter school, as it seems they are more kid focussed than the average public school?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home